Lawyer Phuoc established the TLS law firm in 2003 (predecessor of Phuoc & Partners Law Firm). Prior to that, he worked as Deputy Manager of Tax and Legal Advisory for PricewaterhouseCoopers and KPMG for over 6 years. These are two of the four largest international consulting and auditing firms in the world. In addition, Lawyer Phuoc also served as Managing Lawyer for Viet Law Firm, one of the leading law firms in Vietnam for nearly 2 years. Afterward, he founded Phuoc & Partners Law Firm and has been serving as its Director and Managing Lawyer to this day.
Lawyer Phuoc holds a master’s degree in international Commercial Law from the University of Bristol Law School (UWE), a Bachelor of Laws degree from Ho Chi Minh City University of Law, and also received a bachelor’s degree in English Language from the Pedagogical University in 1996. In addition to legal expertise, he has participated in training programs and holds accounting and tax certificates from ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) – the world’s largest professional accounting organization, headquartered in the UK.
Lawyer Phuoc is a member and head of two primary practice groups at Phuoc & Partners Law Firm, namely Tax and Labour & Employment, with over 25 years of experience. In the field of tax, Lawyer Phuoc focuses on tax planning for large businesses and industries. He regularly drafts, reviews, and negotiates tax-related provisions in various corporate documents, including mergers and acquisition agreements, legal opinions, and employment contracts. In addition, Lawyer Phuoc advises corporate clients on general tax compliance issues, including various taxes related to employment, corporate income tax, and foreign contractor tax. He also represents clients in administrative lawsuits related to tax disputes with local tax authorities in Vietnam.
In the area of labour and employment, Lawyer Phuoc has advised clients on a variety of legal issues related to labour law, practical aspects of employment policies, labour force structure, issues affecting labour and employment in the process of business mergers and acquisitions, hiring, termination, and layoffs. He has represented clients before district and provincial labour management agencies, as well as before various courts. Lawyer Phuoc has represented employers in many employment litigation cases, including issues related to workplace discrimination, protection of trade secrets, and non-compete agreements. He also provides advice on personnel matters and labour welfare decisions for employees.
During the early 2010s, in addition to his extensive expertise and top-notch experience in the fields of tax and labour and employment law, Lawyer Phuoc expanded his practice into a new area of family law and became the primary practitioner in this field at Phuoc & Partners Law Firm. His experience in the family law includes issues related to divorce, child custody, child support, visitation, property division, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, wills, and inheritance. Furthermore, Lawyer Phuoc has also developed significant litigation experience by representing individuals in the business, entertainment, and foreign communities involved in disputes regarding family law, both in and out of court.
Since 2006, Lawyer Phuoc has been recognised as one of Vietnam’s leading lawyers in the fields of tax and labour and employment law by independent organisations such as Legal500, Chambers Asia, and ALB, based on the number of views from clients, colleagues, and other experts.
Lawyer Phuoc has given numerous presentations at business and professional seminars on topics related to tax law, labour and employment, and legal professional skills. These seminars were organised by HKBG, the European Chamber of Commerce, VCCI (Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry), the Ho Chi Minh City Department of Justice, the Vietnam Bar Federation, and the Ho Chi Minh City Bar Association. In addition, Lawyer Phuoc has authored a large number of academic articles related to his fields of expertise and often contributes to specialised journals on tax law, labour and employment, and legal professional skills in Vietnam.
Lawyer Phuoc has also been interviewed on many newspapers, magazines, and TV shows to share knowledge and experience on topics related to tax and labour laws in Vietnam, as well as legal practitioner skills.
Moreover, Lawyer Phuoc has published 7 books related to the field of law, including books on legal management, civil law, and labour law. The titles are:
- “Starting a Career as a Lawyer” (first published by Luat Phuoc & Associates in 2016 and reprinted in 2017)
- “Handbook of Law and Family” (published by Phuoc & Partners Law Firm in 2018 and reprinted in 2020)
- “Labour Law Handbook” (first published by Phuoc & Partners Law Firm in 2018 and reprinted in 2021)
- “Frequently Asked Questions in Labour Law” (first published by Phuoc & Partners Law Firm in 2018 and reprinted in 2021)
- “Difficult-to-Find Personnel Forms Related to Labour Law” (published by Phuoc & Partners Law Firm in 2019 and reprinted in 2021)
- “Marriage Issues: Who to Ask” (published by Phuoc & Partners Law Firm in 2020)
- “Labour Handbook During the Pandemic – What Businesses Need to Know” (published by Phuoc & Partners Law Firm in 2021)
In addition, Lawyer Phuoc has contributed as an author to one chapter of three books related to legal management and for lawyer practicing skills, including:
- “Lawyer’s Handbook” (first published by the Vietnam Bar Federation in 2018 and reprinted in 2019)
- “Legal Consulting Skills Curriculum” (published by the Judicial Academy in 2019)
- “Soft Skills Curriculum in the Legal Profession” (published by the Judicial Academy in 2021)
Lawyer Phuoc is an expert in labour law with many years of experience in this field. As a result, he has had the opportunity to collaborate with many other translators to translate two books specialising in human resources, including:
- “Correct Human Resource Management” (published by VNHR in 2019)
- “Smart Human Resource Management with Data” (published by VNHR in 2019)
In addition, Lawyer Phuoc has also built and manages the website https://chiaseluatlaodong.com/ to share knowledge of labour law, update new labour law regulations, answer frequently asked questions in this field, and provide free personnel forms related to labour law for those working in personnel in businesses.
- Vice President of the Vietnam Human Resources Association (VNHR)
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Vietnam Association of Corporate Directors
- Vice President of the Sales & Marketing Vietnam Club (CSMO)
- Former member of the Executive Committee of the Vietnam International Commercial Arbitration Club (VBLC)
- Guest lecturer at the Judicial Academy
- Member of the Ho Chi Minh City Bar Association